East Bay Couples Therapy
Attachment & Emotion Focused Couple Therapy, Pre-Marital & Marriage Counseling and Sex Therapy
Couples and Marriage Counseling at North Berkeley Couples Therapy Center can help you to get out of your problematic repeating patterns (or negative cycles) of relating and develop trust, connection and intimacy. When you enter into therapy as a couple, you bring your individual and collective experiences, dreams and hurts, as well as the history of your relationship. Your relationship dynamic is created in the partnership based on these hopes and fears. In coming to therapy, I can help you to shift painful or damaging dynamics.
At the core of every relationship, is the need to know that your partner will show up for you in a loving and engaged way. To feel safe in an intimate relationship, you need to know that your partner will be accessible, responsive to your needs and engaged in the partnership. This is the foundation of secure-functioning attachment.
In order to open up to your partner and share yourself in such a vulnerable way, you must know that your partner is emotionally available to respond to your feelings and needs. You may not know how to reach out to your partner and your partner may not know how to support you. Or perhaps you have become stuck in your old and painful patterns, leaving you feeling closed and guarded.
If you sense that your partner is not accessible and engaged with you, you may respond by shutting down or pushing away (fight, flight). While this serves to protect you from immediate pain, it also leaves both partners feeling alone and disconnected. This damages and often ends, many otherwise loving relationships. However, you can break this cycle and learn to communicate with your partner.
We offer couples & sex therapy, marriage & pre-marital counseling and relationship support to partners and individuals at our convenient San Francisco, East Bay & Napa Valley locations.
Our leading East Bay couples counselors & sex therapists can assist you in having a healthy & connected relationship. Some benefits of relationship therapy are:
- Cultivate a Secure functioning partnership
- Learn better communication skills
- Identify problematic dynamics
- Deepen and build intimacy (emotional and sexual)
- Build trust
- Communicate effectively in conflict
- Shift unhelpful or dysfunctional dynamics and patterns.
- Explore commitment issues
- Work with fidelity/infidelity ruptures
- Break out of your relationship rut
- Work on parenting issues
- Develop relational health
- Reconnect to your core friendship and love for one another
- Enhance connection
- Repair your relationship and restore your your commitment to one another
- Relight the spark and passion in your partnership (read more about sex & intimacy therapy).
- Learn how to de-escalate conflict, settle your nervous system and use effective, nonviolent communication (NVC) to deepen connection.
- Be in true partnership....in other words, be team players!